Searching for Co-op and Internship Opportunities
Remember: Your first step in this process should be to attend an information session on How to Find Inernships. These workshops are offered weekly, while classes are in session, in 508 Goodell Building (see Event Calendar for details).
UMass Amherst CareerConnect/eRecruiting
As a student at UMass Amherst you have access to UMass Amherst CareerConnect/eRecruiting database that allows you to search for co-ops, internships (and jobs, when the time comes) all over the country.
Download and print our How to use UMass Amherst CareerConnect/eRecruiting for a handy guide.
Go to the UMass Amherst UMass Amherst CareerConnect/eRecruiting portal to get started. You can create searches specific to your needs or use the quick search buttons for internships and co-ops in general.
How to Search
- Go to the Jobs and Internships tab.
Choose the opportunity type first. In our database the opportunities are listed as:
- Internships (Co-ops are included here)
- Jobs (permanent, part time or full time, requiring a degree)
- Do not be too specific. Initially, do not indicate any keywords. Instead, search only by desired major and city and state.
- Click on Search and browse the listings. Then go back and customize your search if need be.
Guidelines for Searching
Think broadly about the types of positions you are seeking.
If you are interested in working in the legal field, do not just look under “law,” but also consider “advocacy,” “conflict resolution,” “criminal justice,” “political organization/lobbying,” and “community service.”
- Hold down the control key to make multiple selections.
- Summer placements are more competitive than regular semester placements. Try to be flexible.
- International students – check with the International Programs Office before pursuing a position.
Other Web Sites
You may also find field experience opportunities through the following Web sites.
The Carter Center
Chamber Intern Connect (CIC) Great Boston area internships
The Internship Search Engine
Monster College Listings
National Archives and Records Administration
Enter “city, state, internships” such as “San Antonio internships”
National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE)
Includes articles about choosing and making the most of co-ops and internships.
National Council on Public History
Nonprofit Career Network
Rising Star Internships
Over 235 departments at the Smithsonian offer a total of 600 internships per year.