Men's Ice Hockey Fall 2007

Top Dogs

Michael Bozza, Jason Bushey, Stephen Colby, Thomas Demers, Mark Doherty,
Anthony Flynn, Nicholas Fanucci, Kyle Halloran, Christopher Kessler, Michael Marin, Richard McGrath, Thomas McNamara, Evan Messer, Bryan Methe, Christopher Stella

Championship Game Summary
Top Dogs defeat Jim Beam Team 4-1, 4-2

Eight teams qualified for the 2007 intramural ice hockey tournament. Top Dogs entered the tournament as the 1st seed from the Patrick Division and shutout 30 Racks 4-0 in the quarterfinal and Hambones 1-0 in the semifinal. Jim Beam Team, the 1st seed from the Smythe Division, dismissed Brew Crew and 2 Minute Men by the identical score of 4-2 in their quarterfinal and semifinal games, respectively. In game one, Mark Doherty found the back of the net at the 10:48 mark to put Top Dogs on the scoreboard. Jim Beam goalie, Nick Beaulieu, made a huge stop on a power-play attempt to end the first period. The lone second period goal and the game winner was off the stick of Evan Messer assisted by Nicholas Francucci at the 13:13 mark. In the third period, Thomas Demers continued his shutout streak with big save on Jim Beam’s man-up, shot-on-goal at the 10:27 mark. Richard McGrath scored unassisted at the 9:42 mark while the Top Dogs were killing another powerplay. Brian Marfione, assisted by Kevin Harrigan, finally got a puck passed Demers at the 6:08 mark to put Jim Beam Team on the scoreboard. Beaulieu made save after save until he left the ice. Francucci scored his second goal, an empty netter, to capture the first game 4-1 for the Top Dogs.

In game two, Top Dogs offense was relentless and found success midway through the first period when Chris Stella at 9:29 nudged one past Jim Beam goalie Beaulieu for the 1-0 lead. Top Dogs kept Jim Beam off the mark with swarming defense. Jim Beam’s Harrigan had an opportunity to score with a slapshot from the point, but Top Dog’s goalie Demers made the kick save. In period two, Jim Beam’s Harrigan wasted no time in getting another good shot on Demers and this time he was successful. Harrigan’s goal at 13:17 tied the game. Later, with McGrath in the penalty box, Top Dog scored a short-handed goal when Mike Marin slid one past Beaulieu at 9:12. Top Dogs had their share of penalties in the game and, with less than 3 minutes in the 2nd period and with Mike Bozza in the box for tripping, Jim Beam finally got a powerplay goal. Keith Bohne picked up the loose puck in the Top Dog zone, beat the lone defensman and jammed the puck between Demers and the goalpost. The 2nd period ended tied at 2. In the 3rd period, Top Dogs resumed their swarming offense & defense. In opportunistic style and with a Jim Beam defensive letdown, Steve Colby picked up the stray puck and scored at 8:09. Late in the period at the 2:35 mark and with Jim Beam’s Harrigan in the penalty box, Doherty scored the final goal of the game. Top Dogs smothered their opponent right to the end to capture the 4-2 win and the championship.

Jim Beam Team

Keith Aucoin, Nicholas Beaulieu, Keith Bohne, Christopher Caselden, Ryan Caselden, Kevin Harrigan, Sean Herrick, Patrick Kelleher, Brian Marfione, Dennis Masotta, Shane McEwen, Sean Murphy, Kyle Osol, Jarred Pare, Marco Perona, Joseph Webber