Men's Ice Hockey Spring 1993

The Mother Puckers

Championship Summary
Mother Puckers defeated Hanson Bros. Inc. 3-1, 7-0

The intramural hockey season closed with a high scoring game to decide the championship. Playing in the best of three series were last semester's defending champions The Hanson Brothers and the regular season runner up The Motherpuckers. After a close and hard fought 3—1 loss in the series opener, the Hansons were determined not to lose the next game due to a focus on the tight defense that had served them so well throughout the season. The result was shootout, with the the goals all going to the Motherpuckers. The Puckers' close checking limited the Hansons to only a few genuine scoring chances, and on those rare occasions the Puckers goalie Dennis Cremin came through with some fantastic saves.

After a cautious start during which the two teams felt for the others weaknesses, the Puckers took advantage of some sloppy puckhandling by the Hansons with Dan Moroney picking up a loose puck and firing it past Hanson goalie Matt Plees for the unassisted score with 4:25 left in the first period. A strength of the Puckers has been keeping their opponents down once they build a lead. This game was no exception. A little over a minute later John Carr fed Paul McLean for the Puckers second goal and a 2—0 lead that they would take into the intermission.

The Hansons appeared stunned at the quick scoring action and were unable to regroup at the break. Phil Doherty took the puck right after the opening face off and boosted the lead to 3—0 with the second period only 35 seconds old. It appeared as if the Hanson players started trying to do too much individually while the Puckers controlled the puck and the game tempo. In the prettiest passing combination of the night the Puckers big scoring line combined with Jim Majka and Dan Moroney feeding the league's regular season scoring leader Henry Lucas in front of the net for the fourth Pucker goal at 2:35 of the second period.

At this point the Hansons started to backcheck and appeared to regroup playing a tight hardhitting type of defense that was typical of their team this year. The third period again started quickly with Jim Majka scoring at 1:57 of the third period. Dan Moroney tallied his second assist and third point of the game. After an unassisted goal by John Carr a couple of minutes later the game settled as the Puckers were content to protect lead while the Hansons tried to mount a comeback. Referee Greg Gowern, doing an awesome job working by himself, kept the game flowing.

The Hansons started to apply pressure but were penalized one last time by the quick Pucker forwards at 8:45 when Todd Nederostick fed Rick Currier for the final Pucker goal and a 7—0 lead. The Hansons mounted a final attack during the final two minutes in a vain attempt to avoid a shutout. Hanson Brother Jamie Podworski was stymied on four occasions by the Pucker netminder, one of them an uncontested wrist shot from 15 feet that Cremin just managed to get his pads on.

The game was typical of the exciting action of this season. A couple of lucky breaks for the Motherpuckers and the lack of any luck for the Hansons turned this finale into a blowout. Superb efforts were given by all of the players on both teams, but special recognition to Dan Moroney who paced the Puckers with three points and scored the game winning goal, Dennis Cremin, who was incredible between the pipes and recorded the shutout, and to Hank Lucas who lead the Puckers in scoring and finished off a beautiful pass play in the second period. Congratulations to all the players on all of the teams for making this another terrific season, and thanks to the referees and staff who made it possible. See you next season.


Hanson Bros. Inc.