General Policies • Activity Rooms • Boxing Area
Cardiovascular Equipment Areas • Gymnasium
Stretching Area • Track • Weight Equipment Areas
Building Operations Policies
- Equipment should be used properly and for its intended purpose and should remain in its established location.
- Prior to using equipment, read the warning labels and instructions affixed to each machine.
- Follow safe workout procedures by starting with a warm up and/or stretching and ending with a cool down and/or stretching.
- Exercises that cannot be performed in a safe and proper manner or may pose risk to others are prohibited.
- It is strongly recommended that participants not wear jewelry, including during free-play and challenge court games in the gymnasium and while using fitness and weight equipment.
- Do not touch or lean anything against mirrors and/or glass.
- Wipe down equipment after use with spray disinfectant and cleaning towels. Do not spray equipment directly; spray towel and then wipe equipment.
- If you are unsure how to use a machine, seek assistance from facility staff. An equipment orientation can also be scheduled with the Assistant Director for Fitness/Wellness.
- Immediately report to staff any piece of equipment that is not functioning properly so it can be evaluated and serviced promptly. Do not attempt to use or fix any piece of equipment that is not functioning properly.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- To avoid falling, make sure shoes are tied tightly and laces do not fall below the bottom of the sole.
- If you feel pain, faint, discomfort and/or dizziness, discontinue exercising immediately and notify facility staff on duty.
- Personal and/or instructional training other than that scheduled through Campus Recreation is prohibited.
- Personal music devices (i.e. radios, MP3s, iPods) with headphones are permitted in activity spaces.
- Activity rooms are intended for group fitness classes and reservations by registered student organizations (RSO).
- Group fitness class schedules are posted at the entries to activity rooms.
- Fitness equipment should be used only for its intended purpose. The wrestling mat in Activity Room 118 is for use only by the Wrestling Club.
- Do not remove equipment from activity rooms.
- Use caution near mirrors.
- Personal hand weights are not permitted. Facility hand weights are provided for appropriate classes, and may only be used at the direction of the instructor.
- Clean equipment with disinfectant spray and towels before leaving class.
- Using a towel during exercises on mats is recommended.
- Personal items must be stored in cubbies and/or lockers; Campus Recreation is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Complete entire warm up and cool down.
- Audio and video equipment is for Campus Recreation staff or instructor use only.
- Personal or instructional training other than scheduled through Campus Recreation is prohibited.
- Multiple failures to adhere to instructor cues may result in class suspension.
- Gloves and/or hand wraps must be worn to use the speed and heavy bags.
Cardiovascular Equipment Areas
- Hand weights and dumbbells are not permitted on cardiovascular equipment.
- Wear the safety lanyard when using the treadmills.
- During peak hours, limit your workout to 30 minutes.
- Personal items, such as sweatshirts and additional articles of clothing, should not hang on cardiovascular and weight equipment. Items can fall and become lodged in moving equipment, such as treadmills.
- The gymnasium courts are for basketball, volleyball and badminton. Other activities are subject to approval by Campus Recreation staff.
- Priority schedules for basketball, volleyball and badminton are posted at the entries to the gymnasium.
- Participants MUST seek assistance from Campus Recreation for adjustments and setup/takedown of the volleyball nets, badminton nets or other equipment. Disassembling and/or moving equipment that has been set up is not permitted.
- Free Play Rules:
- Dunking is only permitted during games.
- No hanging on the rims or nets at any time.
- No shooting at baskets while a full-court game is in progress.
- No kicking basketballs or any other balls in this area.
- Deliberate abuse of the walls, ceilings, equipment, etc. is not permitted.
- Hats and ball caps are not permitted to be worn during pick-up basketball games.
- Challenge Court Guidelines:
- A challenge for the next game is issued verbally by waiting players. No one presently in a game may call next game.
- Only one player needs to be present to issue a challenge.
- Winning team players stay on the court. Losing team players rotate off the court.
- Losing team players are not eligible for the next game unless other players are not available.
- Challenge court activity is player-regulated. Please notify Campus Recreation staff if there are problems or concerns.
- Equipment must remain in the designated stretching area on level 2 & 3. Do not move equipment from this area to other areas in the Recreation Center.
- Completely wipe mats on both sides after use with spray disinfectant and cleaning towels.
- Track Distance: 10 laps = 1 mile
- Track Direction:
- Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday - Counterclockwise
- Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - Clockwise
- Track is intended for joggers and walkers. Spectators are not permitted to stand at the rail or on the track.
- Walkers should position themselves to the outside lane and joggers to the two inside lanes. Joggers have the right-of-way.
- Jump roping and/or lunges are not permitted on the track.
Weight Equipment Areas
- Use control lifting and weight you can handle with good form.
- For selectorized (weight stack) equipment, plates should not be dropped or allowed to clank together.
- Dumbbells and free weight equipment should not be slammed together or dropped to the floor.
- Exception: Platforms are the only areas where weights can be dropped to the floor. Rubber coated ‘bumper’ plates must be used on platforms.
- Plates are to be moved from racks to bars only.
- Plates and bars should not be left on the floor or leaning against or stacked on benches. Place on floor between sets.
- To prevent tearing, do not place feet or rest bars or weights on upholstered benches.
- Standing on benches or equipment frames is not permitted.
- Safety collars and spotters are strongly recommended.
- Chalk and/or chalk-like substances are not permitted.
- Re-rack dumbbells, free weights and plates to proper location after use.
- If performing multiple sets on equipment, allow others to ‘work in’ while you are resting.
- During peak hours, limit your use of a select weight station to 10 minutes.
- Bicycles, skateboards and in-line skates are not permitted to be used in the Recreation Center, main lobby and Courtside Café and seating area.
- In-line skates and skateboards can be stored in day-use lockers or cubbies provided they fit in these storage units.
- Skateboards of extended size can be checked in to Equipment Checkout.
- Bicycles should be secured to outdoor bicycle racks.
- Bicycles left in interior spaces (i.e. lobby, Courtside Cafe) will be moved to an outdoor bicycle rack.
- Bicycles found locked in inappropriate areas will have the locks cut and will be moved to the bicycle rack with no lock.
- Skateboarding, in-line skating, riding bicycles or other activities that may cause damage to the landscape/exterior of the Recreation Center is not permitted.
- Participants assume responsibility for damages to the landscaping/exterior of the Recreation Center.
- All areas, including the locker rooms, shall be vacated by closing time.
- Activity areas close 15 minutes prior to facility closing time.
- Announcements are made as closing time nears.
- A final announcement will be made when activity areas close.
- Participants are expected to finish their activity (15 minutes prior to closing), re-rack all weight equipment, return any checked-out equipment, finish showering and exit the facility prior to closing.
- Participants must stop participation within the Recreation Center during a power outage or University emergency.
- For extended power outages, the Recreation Center may be temporarily closed. A notice will be placed on the Campus Recreation website www.umass.edu/campusrec and the main phone number (413.545.0022) with date/time of re-opening as soon as a decision is made by Campus Recreation.
Weather Closing/Delayed Opening/Early Closing
- If the University is closed for the entire day, recreation facilities, including the Recreation Center, pools and Boyden gymnasium, will be closed for the entire day.
- If the University has a delayed opening, recreation facilities, including the Recreation Center, pools and Boyden gymnasium, will have a delayed opening.
- If the University has an early closing, recreation facilities, including the Recreation Center, pools and Boyden gymnasium, will close early.
- If the University remains open during the evening or on the weekend but the weather becomes inclement and problematic, recreation facilities, including the Recreation Center, pools and Boyden gymnasium, will close early or will remain open.
- Every attempt will be made to place a notice on the Campus Recreation website www.umass.edu/campusrec and the main phone number (413.545.0022).
- Areas of the Recreation Center or the entire facility may be closed and/or restricted due to a special event, scheduled cleaning, maintenance, or unforeseen circumstances.
- Scheduled closures will be posted on the Campus Recreation website www.umass.edu/campusrec in a timely manner.
- Authorized personnel ONLY are permitted in the Equipment Checkout area.
- Basketballs, volleyballs, badminton racquets, shuttlecocks, jump ropes, combination locks and shower towels are available for checkout at no cost.
- Participant’s UCard is required to check out equipment.
- Participant is responsible for all issued items.
- The equipment is for use within the Recreation Center during normal operational hours and should be returned to Equipment Checkout no later than 15 minutes prior to closing.
- If the issued equipment is lost, stolen, damaged or not returned, the individual who checked it out will be held responsible for reimbursement.
- Note: As available, workout towels are provided at equipment checkout. Deposit dirty workout towels in the towel bins provided or return to Equipment Checkout.
- Children or vulnerable adults must not be left unattended in the main lobby and Courtside Café area. Violations may result in notification to the UMass Police Department.
- Music is provided via radio, MP3 and compact disc and is regulated by Campus Recreation senior staff.
- Music volume will be kept at an appropriate level and not overwhelming.
- Requests to turn up or lower the music volume will be at the discretion of facility staff on duty.
- Music that includes inappropriate content will not be played.
- Limit your personal music to headphones.
- Portable electronic speakers (i.e. Bluetooth, etc.) are not permitted in the common and activity areas and the locker rooms.
- Portable electronic speakers may be appropriate and acceptable for approved group reservations in the activity rooms.
- Photography and/or videography is not permitted without prior Campus Recreation approval.
- Pictures/videos may NOT be taken at any time in the locker rooms, restrooms, and/or the assisted changing room.
- Signs, posters or advertisements may NOT be placed in the Recreation Center on any walls, bulletin boards, doors, and other areas without prior staff approval.
- Only service animals are permitted within the Recreation Center.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act defines service animals as any guide dog, service dog, or other animals individually trained to provide assistance to a person with a disability.
- Televisions are available for viewing in the cardio and weights & fitness areas, as well as one large screen in the main lobby.
- In the cardio areas, head set connectors are available to listen to various television programming.
- To listen, set your connector channel number to the number on the bottom right of the television you are watching.
- For hygiene reasons, Campus Recreation does not checkout headsets.
- Televisions in the free weight and selectorized equipment areas are close-captioned with no audio.
- Activity areas, entries/exits, main lobby/walkway and Cafe are subject to 24-hour surveillance.
- Live video is randomly monitored by Campus Recreation and the UMass Police Department.