Office of the Bursar

The Billing and Payment Gateway of UMass Amherst

Who Receives A 1098-T

Students who are billed for qualified educational expenses and/or who receive financial aid in the form of scholarships, tuition credits and grants (within a calendar year) may be issued a 1098-T form. The form is intended to assist you in the preparation of your federal income tax return. 

Why You May Not Have Received A 1098-T

  • You attended UMass Amherst in the 1098 reported tax year, but you may have enrolled and been billed in the prior calendar year, meaning the information was included in last year's 1098-T.
  • The IRS does not require UMass Amherst to issue a 1098-T form if your scholarship and financial aid total exceeded the billed amount for tuition and qualified expenses.
  • You do not have a valid permanent address on file for you at the University. To update your address, select the Personal Portfolio menu once logged in to SPIRE.
  • You do not have a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN) on file with the University.  To file a SSN or TIN, contact the appropriate Registrar's Office.
  • You are classified as a non-resident alien.