Declaring the BS in Architecture Major
Application to the BS in Architecture Major Process
Admission to the Architecture major will require successful portfolio review in addition to fulfillment of the standard University admissions requirements.
Prospective applicants are welcome to email the department or call (413) 577-0943 for information about the program and building tours.
High school seniors with exceptional visual arts backgrounds will apply directly to the Architecture major when they apply for admission to the University, subject to portfolio review.
- Early Action Deadline: November 5
- Regular Decision Deadline: January 15
How to apply to the Department of Architecture:
Apply to the University of Massachusetts Amherst as directed on the university website: Undergraduate Admissions.
- Indicate a plan to declare Architecture as your major.
- Submit a portfolio and statement via the Common Application as directed.
Prospective transfer applicants are encouraged to contact the department for information about the curriculum prior to applying to the projgram. Email the department or call (413) 577-0943 for information.
Application Deadlines for all transfer students
- For Fall Registration: Priority date: March 1 [All applications received and completed (inclusive of both application to UMass and application to the Department of Architecture) by the priority date will be given full consideration for admission. Applications received or completed after the priority date will be reviewed on a space-available basis.] Applications will be accepted through April 15.
- For Spring Registration: Apply by October 1. Deadline for MassTransfer students only is October 15.
External Transfer Students:
External transfer students with strong visual arts backgrounds can apply directly to the major when applying to the University, subject to portfolio review.
- Apply to the University of Massachusetts Amherst as directed on the university website: Undergraduate Admissions.
- In the Common Application, indicate a plan to declare Architecture as your major.
- Submit a portfolio, statement, and transcript via the Common Application as directed.
Massachusetts Public Community College MassTransfer Students:
Please refer to the UMass Amherst MassTransfer web page. You may also consult with your community college transfer advisor or contact a transfer counselor in the UMass Amherst Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (413) 545-0222.
MassTransfer students must also submit a portfolio, statement, and transcript directly to the Department of Architecture.
MassTransfer applicants, click here to access our online portfolio submission platform.
Current UMass Students:
Current UMass Amherst students in other majors (or undeclared/exploratory status) interested in declaring Architecture as their major can apply directly to the Department of Architecture while taking foundations level studios and art history survey courses. Due to the requirements of the program, current UMass students must apply during their first year at UMass. Applicants must submit a portfolio, statement, and Spire ID to the Department of Architecture.
Current UMass Amherst applicants, click here to access our online portfolio submission platform.
Portfolio Content and Presentation
Your portfolio should represent your best artwork, and it should also demonstrate independent thought and the diversity of your experience in visual arts. Your portfolio can include finished pieces and work in progress and can include that you have made in art class, during a summer exploration program, or on your own.
The Architecture Department accepts only digital portfolios. High school seniors and external transfer students applying via the Common Application will submit statement and images (and transcript as required) as part of the Common Application process. On campus transfer students and MassTransfer students will submit portfolio images, statement (and transcript as required) via the portfolio submission link on this page.
Your portfolio should include a statement that speaks about your interest in architecture and your aspirations.
Submit 12 – 15 pieces.
- Drawings: The portfolio should emphasize works from real-life observation such as still life, figure drawings, portraits/ self-portraits, and landscapes.
- Other media: In addition to observational drawings, the portfolio may include a limited number of works in other media such as painting, 2-D and 3-D designs, photography, woodworking, sculpture, ceramics, architectural designs and models, stage designs, fashion or costume designs or any other visual media that demonstrate your interest and aptitude in creative and graphic work.
Submit only high quality digital images (JPEG and PDF). Name each image using your last name and the numerical order in which you intend the work to be viewed (example: Smith_1.jpg, Smith_2.jpg, etc.). Be prepared to provide the following information for each image:
- Date created
- Whether it was done on your own or in class
- Any additional information that may provide context for the artwork
External transfer students and MassTransfer students must also include their most recent academic transcript.