The Department of Architecture Program is looking for unique students who are independent thinkers, who observe the world and communicate their observations through creative work and/or research, who are interested in expression and problem solving; people who take initiative.
We encourage applicants from all disciplines and backgrounds. Graduates from a BA or BS in Architectural Studies or an equivalent degree may be given advanced standing in the Master of Architecture.
Submit an on-line application to: ArchCAS*
The application process includes:
- GRE Scores
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement, no more than 3 pages. We encourage applicants to ask themselves “Why a Master of Architecture Degree?" "Why now?” “Why UMass?” and “What will I contribute?”
- Portfolio and/or documentation of previous creative work and/or research. A portfolio of creative work should include no more than twenty pages of art, architecture, and/or design work.
- TOEFL is required of foreign student applicants
Digital pdf portfolios can be uploaded through the ArchCAS admissions interface in the section labelled "Documents: Other."
Prospective students to the Master of Architecture program are required to have completed one semester each of calculus and physics prior to program admission. A semester of architectural history is also recommended.
- Priority Deadline for applications is January 4, 2019.
- Master of Architecture applications received after that date will be considered as space permits.
- Master of Design has open "Rolling Admissions" throughout the year. Applicants can apply at any time for admission to the program in either the Fall or Spring.
*UMass Amherst is now participating with ArchCAS™. ArchCAS is a centralized application service that offers prospective architecture students a convenient way to research and apply to graduate programs offered at participating schools. Through ArchCAS, students need to complete only one electronic application and prepare one set of corresponding materials (i.e. references, transcripts, resume/CV, personal statements) that will be disseminated online to one or multiple participating programs.
Please note that UMass Amherst requires that each ArchCAS applicant complete the UMass Amherst Graduate School supplmental application with a few additional questions. The interface will take you to a new page with questions that primarily concern Massachusetts and New England residency. After completing the questions, the supplemental application will prompt applicants to pay a $75 application fee. Please disregard this prompt and close out of the payment page. Your answers will be recorded.