Caryn Brause AIA LEED AP
Caryn Brause AIA LEED AP received her M.Arch degree at the University of Virginia and her B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania. In addition to teaching, Brause is the principal of SITELAB Architecture + Design in Northampton. The practice is a laboratory for investigating the broad context of the “site” through client-driven projects, theoretical investigations, and community collaborations. Design work examines the transformation and reuse of that which we have in abundance including existing building stock, underutilized urban and suburban landscapes, and repurposed materials.
Brause’s teaching investigates critical skills for contemporary practice, both technological and interpersonal. She is an NCARB Award recipient for her project, "Voices from the Field: From Design Concept to Reality," which uniquely spans design, materials and methods, documentation and professional practice. The ongoing research examines an experiential pedagogical model for understanding the myriad issues that comprise contemporary architectural design decision-making and project delivery. Brause’s current work examines the role of collaboration in contemporary design practice .
Recent Research and Creative Practice:
- "Arrivals," Holyoke MA, 2014. A $35,000 public art commission at the Mosher St. underpass in Holyoke, MA. Winner of a open competition for public art proposals (in collaboration with Joseph Krupczynski).
- ‘Beyond the Visible: Skillsets for Future Interior Architecture Practice,’ The Interior Architecture Theory Reader, Gregory Marinic, editor. Invited chapter to a forthcoming reader focused on history, theory, and production in Interior Architecture.
- "Strategic Additions: Reconsidering Architecture’s Stepchild.” International Journal of the Constructed Environment 7, no. 1, January 2016, 43-54.
- Link to recent publications
- 2016 AIA/ ACSA Practice + Leadership Award
- 2013 NCARB Award for the Integration of Practice and Education
- 2013 AIA New England Citation Award for Design Excellence: EcoBuilding Bargains
- 2012 Western Massachusetts AIA Merit Award: EcoBuilding Bargains