- A = Advisor; committee chair
- C = Student's faculty committee
- D = Dean of Graduate Education
- G = Graduate Secretary
- GPD = Graduate Program Director
- S = Student
I. First Steps to the PhD Degree -- Steps 31 - 32
31. GPD: designates an initial A for the S. If S is continuing from our MA program, A is assumed to be the MA program A, unless S informs GPD otherwise. For students new to the department, GPD writes to the S before S's first enrollment indicating the name of the A; A gets a copy of this letter.
32. S: meets with A before registration for first semester's courses. Minimum outcome of this meeting: clarification of educational goals, preliminary identification of field statement and prospectus topics, list of potential candidates to serve on the guidance committee, and course work to be taken during the first semester.
Note: If S has been admitted on a provisional basis, S must complete steps 3 through 9 before proceeding with step 33.
J. PhD Program: to the Prelims -- Steps 33 - 41
33. S: during first semester, selects faculty members to constitute the guidance committee, according to interest, expertise, and availability to serve as preceptors of the statements of field and prospectus. At a minimum, all members must be on the Graduate Faculty of the University, two members must be from within the department, and one member must be someone outside the department and not an anthropologist. On occasion a student may formulate an interim committee. S completes Form 1, has A sign it, gives it to G who gets GPD's signature and places it in the student's Basic File.
34. S: before end of second semester in PhD program prepares, in consultation with C, a brief statement outlining the Statements of Field, Prospectus, and Tool of Research Program, then convenes meeting of C to formally approve the outline. S completes Form 3; A signs it; S attaches approved outline to Form 3 and submits it to G who gets GPD's signature and places it in the student's Basic File.
Note: Each statement must be precepted by a different member of the guidance committee. The prospectus is precepted by the entire committee.
35. S: prepares statements of field, prospectus, and satisfies tools of research requirement as agreed to with C with Form 3 and its appended outline.
36. S: as soon as prospectus is completed, schedules the prospectus presentation with C, fills out Form 4, has A sign it, and submits it to the G who gets GPD's signature and places it in the student's Basic File. S should be prepared to make available to interested students and faculty copies of the prospectus. At a minimum, two copies of the prospectus are to be filed with Form 4: one for the Basic File and the other as a circulating copy which the G lends out to those who ask for it.
Note: Step 36 must be completed at least two weeks before the prospectus presentation takes place.
37. GPD: announces prospectus presentation by giving a copy of Form 4 to the departmental chair who then publishes the details in the MegaMemo.
38. C: together with any other interested faculty and students, holds the prospectus presentation.
39. S: completes remaining statements of field and tools of research requirements. Statements are to be filed with the G as they are completed and approved by the preceptor. When all these are finished and acceptable to the C, S schedules doctoral exam with C, completes Form 4, gets A's signature and submits it -- together with final copies of statements of field -- to the G who gets GPD's signature and places them in the student's Basic File.
Note: Step 39 must be completed at least two weeks before the examination.
40. GPD: announces PhD comprehensive examination by giving a copy of Form 4 to the departmental chair who then publishes the details in the MegaMemo.
41. C: holds the PhD oral preliminary comprehensive examination, reporting the results to the GPD on Form 7, who then copies Form 7, sends the original to the D, and places the copy in the student's Basic File.
K. Doctoral Dissertation Committee -- Steps 42 - 50
42. S: forms doctoral dissertation committee by completing Form 2 and submitting it to G who gets the GPD's signature. At a minimum, all members of the committee must be members of the Graduate Faculty of the University; two of these must be from within the department, and the other must be someone outside the department who is not an anthropologist.
43. S: gets members of C and the chair of the department to sign their names on a newly prepared and separate title page of the prospectus indicating their approval of it as the dissertation outline and then submits it to the G.
44. G: copies the signed version of the dissertation outline and places it in the student's Basic File. GPD sends original signed version to D.
Note: Step 44 must be completed at least seven months before the date of the dissertation defense.
45. D: appoints the dissertation committee.
46. S: prepares the dissertation.
47. S: schedules the defense with C when all the C members approve that the dissertation is complete in form and content and ready to be defended. S fills out Form 6, has A sign it and submits it (together with a draft dissertation copy to be circulated by G among interested readers) to the G.
Note: Step 47 must occur at least four weeks before the defense.
48. G: gets GPD's signature on Form 6, copies it twice, sends the original to the D, and gives one copy to the chair who publishes the defense announcement in the MegaMemo, and places the second copy in the student's Basic File.
49. S: completes credit requirements (see Chapter V, section C) and residency requirement (see Chapter V, section D).
50. C: holds dissertation defense. Each member signs Form 7, indicating Pass or Fail. A then submits this to G who gets GPD's signature, who then copies it, sends the original to the D and places the copy in the student's Basic File.
L. PhD Diploma Requirements -- Steps 51 - 53
51. S: completes the "Certificate of Eligibility for a Doctoral Degree," available from the G; submits it to G along with one unbound final copy of the dissertation, printed on acid-free paper.
52. GPD: checks certificate with S for accuracy, signs it, obtains departmental chair's signature, and sends it to the D.
53. S: satisfies remaining Graduate School fee and form requirements and submits the original signed version of the dissertation and one copy (both on acid-free paper) to the Office of Degree Requirements, being careful to follow scrupulously dissertation committee instructions and the procedures stated in the Graduate School's Typing Guidelines for Master's Theses and Doctoral Dissertations.