Make Your Document Accessible
- Is my document accessible? [PDF]
- Microsoft Word Accessibility Basics [DOCX] (from the UMass Branding Guidelines)
- Adobe Acrobat Pro Accessibility Basics [DOCX] (from the UMass Branding Guidelines)
- Accessibility Best Practices
- Accessible Word Documents
- Adobe Accessibility: PDF Resources
Even more tutorials and guidelines are on the Digital Accessibility Forum.
If your PDF is an Image of Text, Convert It
Make sure your PDF is not an image of text. You should be able to copy and paste the text from your PDF into Word. To convert an image file to a text file:
- Use this web based Document Conversion tool: www.robobraille.org/web3/umassamherst.
- Upload file.
- Select document conversion.
- The converted document is returned via e-mail as an attachment.
- You will need to edit the file before it is saved to an accessible PDF.
Your video must have accurate captions. Video captioning is one of University Communications required accessibility. See easy checks listed under Multimedia Alternatives.
Forum and Guidelines
- Staff and faculty may participate in the Accessibility Forum on the UMass President's site. (Login required)
- Make a visit to the Accessibility section of the UMass Brand Guide as your first stop.
- You may also refer to Accessibility and Usability at Penn State.
Individuals to contact regarding ADA compliance at each campus/unit are:
- Amherst: Josh Pearson, Bill Leahy, Christine Wilda
- Boston: Apurva Mehta, Valerie Haven, Martha Kelly, Matt McCubbin, Georgianna Melendez, Patricia Neilson, Margaret Pinkham, Linda Sudlesky, Paula Thorsland
- Dartmouth: Josh Crary, Deborah Majewski (DS), Hillary Sylvia
- Lowell: Brandon Drake, Jody Goldstein, Mike Lukas, Paul Nutter, Clara Reynolds
- Medical School: Andrea Delaney, Lucy Ortiz, John Trobaugh
- President’s Office: Kristina England, Tracy Axelson, John Healey, Som Seng (UMOL), Dawna McIntyre (General Counsel)
UMass Amherst Information Technology (IT) offers workshops on Creating Accessible Word Documents. Check their calendar for upcoming workshops. You may also contact the Instructional Media Lab at email@example.com or 545-2823 to ask about upcoming workshops.