In the summer of 2016, Make-It launched as a 1 month pop-up project in a vacant storefront. Since then, Make-It Springfield has become a treasured community incubator and makerspace for local artists, entrepreneurs, makers, programmers, students and enthusiasts to make, create & share their skills and tools. Make-It provides a platform for community members of all backgrounds to learn new skills, build relationships, launch businesses & inspire one another.
Make-It recently launched a retail program that supports entrepreneurs interested in selling their handmade items at retail establishments in local shops and online. Current retail items include hot sauce, bow ties, gourmet chocolates, screen-printed shirts and bags, jewelry, artist notecards, and more. Current retail outlets include the Springfield Museums online store and the new Visitor Center next to the MassMutual Center.
We are looking for an Entrepreneurship Intern for the following projects:
- Organize trainings to support entrepreneur members, with a focus on those with retail products
- Interview the talented makers and create profiles for website and social media
- Photograph and film makers and products for website
Depending on the individual’s interests and skills, other projects may include:
- Designing flyers, signage, and other printed promotional materials to promote retail program
- Drafting email blasts to promote retail program
- Identify new products that Make-It can create and sell
- Other self-directed projects
You might be a great fit for this if you have:
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Basic graphic design skills (preferred)
- Basic video skills (preferred)
- Experience with social media platforms, ideally on behalf of an organization or business
- Ideally bilingual in English & Spanish
- An enthusiasm for all the great activities happening at Make-It!
We have a team of dedicated advisory board members. Each intern will have a lead board member they are working with on projects for guidance, support and encouragement. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in entrepreneurship and small businesses. You will be a valued member of our team and you’ll enjoy being a part of this vibrant community space!
PERIOD OF INTERNSHIP/EMPLOYMENT: Flexible
PAY TYPE: Unpaid, with potential for academic credit and/or recommendation letter
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Internship
JOB STATUS: Part-Time (about 5 hours/week), flexible
LOCATION: Make-It Springfield, 168 Worthington St, Springfield, MA (with option to complete some hours remotely)
APPLICATION DUE DATE: Rolling
REQUIRED DEGREE: All majors welcome
HOW TO APPLY: Resume & brief cover letter