ABOUT FLYWHEEL ART COLLECTIVE (flywheelarts.org)
Flywheel is a non-profit, volunteer-run community arts space located in Easthampton. It aims to build community and give artists of all types the opportunity to craft, practice, and perform their work in an environment where creativity is valued over profit. Volunteer-run and governed by consensus, Flywheel believes that art and information should be equally accessible and affordable to all people.
- Live music
- Art exhibits
- Film & video screenings
- Poetry & spoken word
- Theater & performance art
- A zine library
- Space for meetings & discussion groups
- Fun and games
- and more!
Flywheel is a place for countless types of artistic expression, where people can come and create, have fun, and exchange ideas. Because it is run as as a collective, Flywheel is not “owned” by anyone, but operates with everyone’s support and dedication.
An internship at the Flywheel allows you to learn many facets of arts management under the guidance of longtime volunteers in this nearly 20-year-old organization. Here are some examples of internship possibilities under guidance of Flywheel volunteers:
1. Under the direction of the Flywheel Hub co-operative leadership, support ongoing fundraising efforts; Coordinate volunteers for fundraising events; Coordinate appeal letters, direct mail, newsletters, etc.; Answer inquiries from individuals or organizations about fundraising events
2. Manage Flywheel Office; Organize and maintain Flywheel office; Pay bills; Coordinate community partnerships; Meet with community organizations & individuals to educate them about Flywheel; Outreach
3. Publicity; Publicize ongoing Flywheel events through social media and in the community (flyering, press releases, blogging, tweeting, Facebooking, etc.)
4. New Volunteer Coordinator; Organize monthly new member open house meetings; Follow up with new member inquiries; Integrate & orient new volunteers into Flywheel organization
5. Delegate general tasks to the Hub and Spokes; Identify tasks; Delegate responsibility of tasks to membership;
6. Book events at Flywheel; Under the guidance of an established booker, book events at the Flywheel space; Learn live sound production; Learn artist relations
PERIOD OF INTERNSHIP/EMPLOYMENT: Fall, Spring, Summer. Length of internship is very flexible.
PAY TYPE: Unpaid; can do for credit
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Internship
JOB STATUS: Full or part-time: flexible hours.
43 Main Street
(In the Old Town Hall)
Easthampton, MA 01027
APPLICATION DUE DATE: Rolling
REQUIRED DEGREE: All majors
CONTACT: Joe Pater: email@example.com
HOW TO APPLY: Send a 100-200 word statement of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org