In the summer of 2016, Make-It launched as a 1 month pop-up project in a vacant storefront. Since then, Make-It Springfield has become a treasured community incubator and makerspace for local artists, entrepreneurs, makers, programmers, students and enthusiasts to make, create & share their skills and tools. Make-It provides a platform for community members of all backgrounds to learn new skills, build relationships, launch businesses & inspire one another.
Make-It provides daily low-cost or free public programming in topics such as bike repair, painting, 3D printing, and more. We offer monthly membership to those interested in access to the space and equipment 24/7. And we recently launched a retail program that supports makers interested in selling their items at retail establishments in local shops and online. We collaborate regularly with other non-profits, small businesses, workforce development programs, school programs and more! Make-It is growing social enterprise and has a mix of revenue streams, as well as grants and donations.
We are looking for a Marketing & Communications Intern for the following projects:
- Creating social media content with focus on videos and Facebook live
- Interview our talented members and makers to document their stories, craft, and vision
- Draft periodic press releases and monthly e-newsletter
Depending on the individual’s interests and skills, other projects may include:
- Designing flyers, posters, and other printed promotional materials
- Drafting email blasts for upcoming events using Wix.com
- Manage event listings for workshops and communicate with hosts to confirm details
- Other self-directed projects
You might be a great fit for this if you have:
- Strong writing skills and attention to detail
- Basic graphic design skills (preferred)
- Basic video skills (preferred)
- Experience with social media platforms, ideally on behalf of an organization or business
- Ideally bilingual in English & Spanish
- An enthusiasm for all the great activities happening at Make-It!
We have a team of dedicated advisory board members. Each intern will have a lead board member they are working with on projects for guidance, support and encouragement. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in entrepreneurship and small businesses. You will be a valued member of our team and you’ll enjoy being a part of this vibrant community space!
PERIOD OF INTERNSHIP/EMPLOYMENT: Flexible
PAY TYPE: Unpaid, with potential for academic credit and/or recommendation letter
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Internship
JOB STATUS: Part-Time (about 5 hours/week), flexible
LOCATION: Make-It Springfield, 168 Worthington St, Springfield, MA (with option to complete some hours remotely)
APPLICATION DUE DATE: Rolling
REQUIRED DEGREE: All majors welcome
HOW TO APPLY: Resume & brief cover letter