Positively persuasive. Why keep the message positive?
Perception is reality. Positive associations affect the university’s reputation and status in the public mindset. Your demeanor is a critical component of your overall message.
Consistent messages strengthen the case. Educating legislators and others about the added-value UMass Amherst brings to Massachusetts builds long-term political support.
Our task is to persuade the Governor, the state legislature, and other key policy/opinion leaders that a top quality public higher education system is an essential component to the state's many resources. UMass is the Commonwealth’s only public research university.
In order to maintain a top-quality resource, steady, stable, funding is required.
The Message: Steady, stable, secure funding preserves the Commonwealth’s public research university and UMass Amherst's mission for the public good:
- UMass Amherst faculty integrate their research directly into the undergraduate classroom and laboratory experience.
- This ensures that our students receive a first-rate education and are fully prepared to enter the workforce or graduate study with cutting-edge knowledge in their field of study.
- This linkage demonstrates the direct connection to sources of new knowledge – faculty researchers – to students’ innovative and creative learning.
- The Massachusetts economy requires 21st century savvy. UMass Amherst recruits, trains, and retains the next generation of the Commonwealth’s entrepreneurs, teachers, scientists, managers – the movers and shakers.
- With over 100,000 alumni living in the Commonwealth, they bring business to the state and increase Massachusetts’ competitive edge nationally and globally.
As the 21st century progresses, the linkage between research and public service will continue to make the flagship campus unique in Massachusetts.
- UMass Amherst faculty researchers teach the teachers. Graduate education is an important part of workforce development and knowledge creation.
Does a positive message make a difference? Yes, it does. Contacting community leaders, elected officials, legislators, and key opinion leaders educates the Commonwealth of the value UMass Amherst adds to Massachusetts. Your contact also demonstrates the broad presence and impact of UMass Amherst across the Commonwealth.
Support for UMass Amherst is an on-going effort. The current economic landscape is part of a cycle. Good times come and go. The long-term ramifications of short term solutions makes a difference to the health and well-being of the university. Steady, stable funding for the Commonwealth's public research university is vital.
Thank you for your UMass Amherst Advocacy.