The Office of Undergraduate Admissions processes applications for the following types of domestic and international students:
- Freshman: A graduating high school student (regardless of number of college credits taken while in high school) or a high school graduate or GED/HiSET recipient who has attempted fewer than 12 college credits after graduation and is applying to a four-year bachelor’s degree program.
- Transfer: A high school graduate or GED/HiSet recipient who has enrolled as a full-time degree student or who has attempted 12 or more credits of college study and is applying to a four-year bachelor’s degree program. This category includes Massachusetts community college students who receive preferential admission under the Joint Admissions / Mass Transfer option .
- Interchange Transfer: An enrolled degree-seeking student at UMass Boston, UMass Dartmouth, or UMass Lowell who wishes to transfer as a degree-seeking student to the Amherst campus. Students follow the same application process as transfer applicants.
- Post-Graduate 2nd Bachelor’s Degree: An applicant who has earned a bachelor's degree and is interested in earning another degree in a program different from the first. Students must contact the Admissions Office for an application form and to determine if their chosen major is available to post-graduate second bachelor's degree students.
Veterans: Veterans apply for admission in the same manner as other students. If you are a current or former member of the United States military, please contact Veterans Services  as soon as you begin the application process. Their staff will be able to help you access military educational benefits.
Other Admissions Categories
Other university departments process applications for the following types of students:
- Graduate Student 
- Online Degree Students 
- Re-entering Undergraduate Student 
- Re-entering Associate's Degree Student