University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


Is it possible for international students to pay in-state tuition at UMass Amherst?

In most cases, no.  For dependent students, tuition residency is determined based on the residency of the parents. If both parents reside outside Massachusetts, then international students will be classified as out-of-state students for tuition residency purposes. Relatives or friends of the family who serve as support contacts in the U.S. do not qualify international students for in-state tuition residency. Residing in Massachusetts as a full-time student will not later qualify a student for in-state tuition residency. Students on F-1, F-2, J-1, and J-2 visas will not qualify for in-state tuition.

Exceptions: Students residing in Massachusetts who have applied for permanent residency or asylum and who can submit INS documents verifying their application has been received and/or is in process may qualify for instate tuition residency if their family meets other in-state tuition residency requirements. In addition, students residing in Massachusetts on some visas (A, E, G, H, I, K, L, N, O, R, S, T, U, V visas) and who can submit documentation of their visa status may qualify for in-state tuition residency if their family meets other in-state tuition residency requirements. In these cases, students may contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at 1-413-545-0222 after applying for admission to obtain more detailed information about how to pursue an instate tuition residency review.

For More information, please see the residency page.