In an attempt to make the image easier to see, it was enhanced using Denoise [Block PCA] feature of the G’MIC (GREYC's Magic for Image Computing) plugin for Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program). Jérôme Boulanger is the author of the feature.
Due to the difficulty of seeing features in the c. 1830 sketch, I created a simulation of the Theatre's portico. TJS.
British history Online discusses an amateurish drawing http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46127#s5 of the Adelphi dated c. 1825, but the title over the theatre would indicate c. 1830 or later. Copyright restrictions prevent its being digitized. 1
In 1825, J. T. G. Rodwell died and was succeeded by his brother. George Rodwell and Jones sold the theatre in August to Frederick Yates and Daniel Terry who made changes to the building. The portico was screened by Doric columns with slender shafts standing on square pedestals. The front of the Adelphi showed it to be four stories high but only two windows wide. It was faced in stucco and surmounted by a triangular pediment and a chimney.
The Hampshire Hog was in place at 410 Strand at least by 1822 to the right side of the Adelphi Theatre. They purchased insurance from the Sun Fire Office in 1822: "MS 11936/493/987872 30 January 1822 Insured: William Robert Burgess 107 Strand Other property or occupiers: the Hampshire Hog 410 Strand (victualler)." 2.
The shop on the left shows up in two of the sketches. The shop is referenced in the 1823 Kent's London Directory 3 and in 1836, referring to a special quicksilver level:
|Thank you for visiting this site.|
|Copyright © 1988, 1992, 2013 and 2016 by Alfred L. Nelson, Gilbert B. Cross, Joseph Donohue.|
|Originally published by Greenwood Press as The Sans Pareil Theatre 1806-1819, Adelphi Theatre 1819-1850: An Index to Authors, Titles, Performers, 1988, and The Adelphi Theatre 1850-1900: An Index to Authors, Titles, Performers and Management, 1992.|
|The Adelphi Theatre Calendar revised, reconstructed and amplified. Copyright © 2013 and 2016 by Alfred L. Nelson, Gilbert B. Cross, Joseph Donohue. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License, with the exception of graphics from The Clip Art Book, edited by Gerard Quinn and published by Crescent in 1990. These images are reproduced in accord with the publisher’s note, which states "The Clip Art Book is a new compilation of illustrations that are in the public domain. The individual illustrations are copyright free and may be reproduced without permission or payment. However, the selection of illustrations and their layout is the copyright of the publisher, so that one page or more may not be photocopied or reproduced without first contacting the publishers."|